Several types of Search Engines :
There are several types of search engines which are listed below :-
Crawler types of search engines will uses “spider” or a “crawler” to search the Internet web pages. The spider digs through individual web pages, pulls out keywords in the content and then adds the pages to the search engine’s database.
Example :- Google and Yahoo are examples for the crawler based search engines.
Directories are the “human powered search engines”. websites are submitted to the directory and will be approved after reviewing the site or webpage completely.
Example :- “Open Directory Project” and “the Internet Public Library” are examples for the directories based search engines.
Hybrids are a mix of directories and crawlers. Sometimes, you have a choice when you search whether to search the directory or a Web. sometimes, you may receive both human powered results and crawler results for the same search. In this case, the human results are usually listed first.
Meta search engines are one that search several other search engines at a time and combines all the results into a single list. When you get more results with meta search engines, the relevancy and quality of the results may sometimes suffer.
Example :- Dogpile and Clusty are examples of meta search engines
Top list of Search engines used
Here the list of top most search engines are listed below :-
- Google : Crawler-based search engine
- Bing : Crawler-based search engine
- Yahoo : It is Human-Powered Directory, also provides crawler-based search results which is powered by Google
- Baidu : Crawler-based search engine Chinese search engine
- AOL : Provides crawler-based search results powered by Google
- ASK : Provides crawler-based search results powered by Teoma